Do you remember your first milonga as a DJ? How did it all begin? Why have you decided to become a tango DJ?
- I played for the first time at a practice I organised. I prepared tandas and really worried whether they were enough for the practice. It turned out not super, but I drew my conclusions.
When do you like to play music more: in the afternoon, evening, night, afterparty? Why?
- I get a kick of daytime milongas, mostly because I’ve slept enough and am not tired yet :)
What music do you like besides tango?
- Different. Jazz, for example.
What do you like more - to play music or to dance?
- Dance :) But both are different parts of my relations with the music.
What is your favourite flower? :)
- Roses! Bouquets with peonies. Freesias. I love them to be armful :)
Favourite activities (hobbies) besides tango
- Sleeping, walking, making love, talking to friends, listening live music, singing, exercising. Fooling around. I am happy when I fool around and have fun. I love to learn new things very much. I enjoy the self development process.
How did you start dancing tango? Have you danced (do you dance) other dances?
- I did knife fighting. Someone showed a couple of steps to my teacher and he showed them to me. So it all began.
Salsa, bachata, lindy hop - give me music and I’ll dance it.
What else have you been doing in tango: organisation of milongas, festivals, teaching…?
- I had a milonga, now I have a school :)
How has your musical taste evolve during your tango life/DJ career?
- I loved only the golden age music before. Now I would like to also add modern orchestras and neotango, but it is rarely appropriate for many reasons. For example, it is hard to dance to less familiar music for many dancers, and not many people can dance to nuevo music, so I play this kind of music very rarely.
How do you choose music at a milonga?
- What a question :) As my brain tells me :))
Without what songs/orchestras a milonga can’t be a good milonga?
- Troilo, D’Arienzo, Calo, Di Sarli.
Can you think of a happy/funny story connected with your DJing?
- Ow, and who should be laughing in my story - me or the others? A joyful laugh or hysterical?
During one milonga the DJ table was standing on a some sort of podium. Everyone came up to say hi to me and apparently it moved closer and closer to the edge and some point fell with all the equipment and my computer! Fortunately, no one sat at a table next to the podium and all the equipment including my computer stayed alive. It was scary, but with a happy end.
Next weekend after the victory of the bearded woman Conchita Wurst at Eurovision I played in the character of Conchita. It was very similar and funny. All cortinas were from Eurovision from different years. After Pugliese I played her song “Rise like a Phoenix” and all the attention was drawn to me. I had to do a small dancing show, everybody laughed :)
Do you like to travel? Name a most unusual place were you DJed/ danced
- The famous Red Theatre in Taipei, historical place, awesome atmosphere.
In what city is there the best regular local milongas?
- In Buenos-Aires, trust me.
Where do you dream to go to?
- South Korea, Italy, Portugal. And Woodstock of 1969.
What song do you associate with Minsk Spring Tango Festival?
- Today – this one ))))